Saturday 10 November 2007

My busy busy week


Okkervil River


So this week has been pretty busy. I stupidly planned 3 gigs and a Birthday day out in one week.
It all started off on Wedneday when i went to see the amazing Biffy Clyro, for what seems like the 50th time, at the barrowlands. The gig was, as i exspected, full to the brim and the buzz comming from the crowd was incredible. After the gig, it was a quick rush back up to Dundee, to join my flat mate and some friends for the Dub-Step night at the student union on Floor Five.

Then on Thursday I had tickets to go and see Mr Bill Bailey play live at the Clyde Auditorium. His Performance was extraordinary. I havent laughed so hard, well.......ever.

Then finally I went to Nice N Sleazys in Glasgow to see Okkervirl River. I have been wait to see this band play in the uk for awhile now. I don't know what you'd call their music, country or indie, rock or avant-folk, or some such crossbred genre. All I know is that it calms my nerves and makes me feel relaxed, taking me into my own little world. Thought sure with the gritty lyrics, it's kind of a downer, but is that not what real country is anyway.

Okkervil River’s music is meant to be grappled with, questioned and reflected upon. Never to be taken at face value or with assumptions. Will Sheff, songwriter and main source of inspiration, draws his songs from living on the road, a place where life is at times it can be tranquil and utterly beautiful, but other moments reveal the darkest of dark, an image of evil that only shows itself in a travelling form.

Okkervil River is music for anyone with a ear on their mind and eye on their heart. Thats why i love this band so much.

I suppose I should also mention a little something about what im doing at university just now. Our current brief is to take a piece of fruit, mines is a Granny smith Apple, and use it as inspiration to create resin bead designs. I love working with resin and perspex as the textures and colours you can create are unlimited. For this brief i have been mainly using the resin to encase objects that represent an apple like the seeds and using fabric that lookis like the peel.

No comments: